Writer Sonia Iftikhar
According to World Health Organization (WHO):
“Mental health is a state of well-being in which individuals realize their own abilities, can cope with the normal stresses of life, can work productively and fruitfully, and can make a contribution to their community”.
From the perspectives of positive psychology, mental health may include an individual’s ability to enjoy life and to create a balance between his life activities and efforts to achieve psychological resiliencies.
What is Mental Health?
Psychological well being refers to our psychological, emotional, and social well-being. It has a direct hyperlink with our feeling, considering, and the way we deal with our life points. So it’s all about how folks suppose of their day by day dwelling, how they really feel, and the way they behave with their relationships.
There is another term that people sometimes use that is “Mental Health” which means “absence of any kind of mental disorder”.
Why is mental health so important?
Mental health is not only crucial on an individual level but it has a direct impact on our community and societies by affecting our relationship with people around us. It helps us to determine that how we handle our emotions, stress and make choices. So it has a significant role at every stage of life, from childhood and adolescence to adulthood and aging. Moreover, it helps us to:
- Manage our stress
- Cope with the stresses of life
- Stay physically healthy
- Have a good relationship with our community
- Make meaningful contributions to our society
- Work creatively and productively
- Realize our full strength and potential
It has a direct effect on our physical health as well as on emotional health. So any kind of mental disorder can raise the risk of physical health problems. For instance, any kind of mental problem can lead to serious physical health problems such as stroke, heart disease, type 2 diabetes, etc.
Now first of all let’s understand that what actually mental disorder is?
What is mental disorder?
Psychological problems are severe circumstances which have a direct have an effect on in your considering, temper, and conduct. They are often occasional or generally long-lasting. Psychological problems are quite common; greater than half of Individuals shall be identified with one all through their life. However there are remedies out there too. Folks with psychological problems can get higher. Even so many individuals get well utterly.
Good and positive mental health is very important in life as it allows people to:
- Stay happy
- Have good relationship with your love ones
- Complete your tasks in a very organized way
- Manage your time
- Realize your full potential
- Cope with any kind of stress or mental health problem
- Work productively and creatively
- Make good decisions
- Accept challenges
- Make meaningful contributions towards your community
Ways to maintain positive mental health:
So how can we stay positive and maintain our positive mental health? There are various ways to maintain positive mindset:
- Getting professional help
- Connecting with other people. You may do this by growing your social network.
- Always think positively
- Getting physically active. You may do physical activities by doing regular exercise.
- Thinking about others and helping them
- Getting enough sleep
- Developing coping skills
What can affect my mental health?
There are various factors that may affect your mental health. They include:
- Biological factors, like genes or brain chemistry. According to NIMH, genetic family history can increase the chances of mental health conditions, as specific genes and gene variants may put a person at higher risk. Family history of mental health problems can also be an important factor.
So many other factors contribute to the development of these disorders.
- Having a gene that has a link to a mental health disorder, for example, depression or schizophrenia does not guarantee at all that a condition will develop. Similarly, people who don’t have any related genes or a family history of mental destruction, still have possibilities of such kind of mental issues.
On the other hand, sometimes life experiences, such as trauma or abuse also leads to this mental illness.
- Your lifestyle such as your diet, physical activities.
How can we affect our mental health?
No doubt that mental health problems are very common in our society but a solution is available. Any person having any kind of mental health problem can get better and even recover completely. So we can improve our mental health by taking steps to improve it, such as:
- By doing meditation
- By using relaxation techniques
- By practicing gratitude
Can my mental health change over time?
Over the course of your life, your mental health can change which may affect your thinking, mood, and behavior. For example, you may face a difficult situation in your life, such as money problems or other financial issues, dealing with a chronic illness, and taking care of an ill person. This may worsen your mental condition. On the other hand, getting therapy can improve your mental health and help you to come out of such kinds of situations.
There is no physical test or any kind of scanner that could reliably indicate whether a person is having a mental illness. So it can be a little hard to find out that milwhat is normal and what is not. But to find out if someone is living with mental health problems, there are some warning signs that can help you to determine if you have a mental health problem or not. So experiencing one or more of these following feelings can be the sign of this problem.
- HAVING LOW OR NO ENERGY: Having no or very low energy can also be an early sign of a mental disorder. That person always feels numb or behaves like nothing matters to him that can affect his relations and might leading towards social loneliness.
- SOCIAL WITHDRAWAL: A person suffering from this disorder tries to pull him away from the people and activities he enjoys.
- HAVING UNEXPLAINED ACHES AND PAINS
- FEELING HELPLESS OR HOPELESS
- SMOKING OR USING DRUGS: Using mood-altering substances including alcohol and nicotine, more frequently is also one of those early warning signs that we really need to pay attention to.
- SUDDEN MOOD SWINGS: Having severe mood swings is also a sign of the mental illness that causes problems in your relationships.
- DISPLAYING NEGATIVE EMOTIONS: Feeling unusually confused, forgetful, upset, worried, or scared.
- MEANINGLESS THOUGHTS: An individual with mental health disorder usually has illogical thoughts and memories in his mind and never finds a way to get out of these thoughts.
- AWAY FROM REALITY: Hearing voices or believing things that are not true and do not exist in the real world.
- HARMFUL THOUGHTS: Thinking of causing physical harm to themselves or others can also be the result of serious mental destruction.
- FAIL TO ACHIEVE GOALS: Being unable to fulfill commitments and achieve goals as well as not being able to perform daily tasks like taking care of your kids or getting to work are all signs of mental illness. Such kinds of people find themselves unable to concentrate on their goals and thus fail to do anything extraordinary in their life.
- EATING OR SLEEPING TOO MUCH OR TOO LITTLE: Eating or sleeping too much or too little can also be a clear sign of mental illness.
- YELLING OR FIGHTING WITH FAMILY AND FRIENDS: Getting super hyper without any reason and always yelling or fighting with people around you, even with your dear ones also help you to determine whether that person is having any kind of mental illness or not.
- PULLING AWAY FROM NORMAL ROUTINE: Avoiding activities that they would normally enjoy is also another warning sign.
- EXCESSIVE FEARS OR WORRIES
Being unable to do anything extraordinary or constant failures create feelings of excessive fear and worry. He remains unable to cope with his daily problems or stress that ultimately leads to severe depression with harmful results. It can be also a clear sign of mental illness.
What should I do if I think I have a mental health problem?
Now the question is that how can you get out of this situation? In case, you think that you may have a mental health problem, what to do? There are so many treatments available. For example, you may take therapy or medicines to treat mental disorders. If you don’t know where to start, here are various methods to deal with mental health problems.
Treatment provided in this is highly individual and sometimes what works for one person may not work for another. Some strategies or treatments are good for some patients as compared to others. So they vary from patient to patient.
A person, having a chronic mental disorder may go for different options at different stages in his life.
The individuals need to stay in touch with a doctor who can help them identify their needs and provide them with a suitable solutions.
Treatments may include:
This kind of treatment takes a psychological approach to treat mental illness. The followings are the example of psychotherapy:
Cognitive-behavioral therapy, exposure therapy, and dialectical behavior therapy are some examples.
Psychologists, psychotherapists, psychiatrists, and some primary care physicians tackle such kinds of individuals.
It can be very beneficial as it helps the patient to understand that what actually is the root cause of his mental problem. After knowing this he can start work on his mental health by improving his thoughts, which are more helpful for him to support his everyday living that can lead to the reduction of the risk of isolation and self-harm.
In this treatment, medicines are given to patients to cope with this disease. Individuals have prescribed medications, such as antidepressants, antipsychotics, and anxiolytic drugs.
Although these medicines cannot cure mental disorders. However, some of these medications can improve symptoms and help an individual resume social interaction leading towards a normal routine while they work on their mental health.
Some of these medications only work by boosting the body’s absorption of feel-good chemicals, like serotonin, from the brain. Whereas other medicines either boost the levels of these chemicals or prevent their degradation.
Any mental disorder can’t be treated without self-help. A person coping with such kind of mental disorders usually need to change his lifestyle to facilitate wellness. Having a support network, whether via self-help groups or good friends and family members can also be essential to recovery from mental illness.
These changes may include reducing alcohol intake, sleeping more, and eating a balanced nutritional diet. People sometimes have to stay away from work to tackle these issues with personal relationships, which was causing damage to his mental health.
On the other hand, people with conditions such as anxiety or depression may benefit from relaxation technique, that includes meditation, mindfulness and deep breathing.